SW NC birds

Hey folks,

I spent the long weekend in the Haywood, Macon, Cherokee County areas.  I
was conducting some surveys of the Hybrid Index Protocol of the
Golden-winged Warbler survey for NC Audubon and Cornell.  Turned up lots of
Golden-wings in the usual spots (Stecoah Gap, Max Patch, Tullulah Wetlands)
as well as few isolated sites around those areas.

If you have any Golden-wing sightings anywhere in western NC besides those
areas and the known sites in the Elk Knob gamelands and Peak areas of
Watauga and Ashe Counties let me know.  There is also a good site in Avery
County up at the Overmountain Victory Trail Head area in the Yellow Mountain
Gamelands area.

One area that was disappointing was the FSR 711 from Kyle to Wayah Bald
road.  Historically this has been a very productive area but a survey there
in less than ideal conditions turned up no Golden-wings.  if you have any
records for that area in the past two to three years, please let me know.
There obviously used to be a lot of good habitat there but the canopy has
closed over much of the road and the Golden-wings seem to have disappeared.

Overall I had a great time and saw 93 species over the weekend,  One of the
highlights were three singing male Blue-winged Warblers in the Hiwassee
basin.  I know Harry LeGrand has reported those in that area for years, and
they are still there if you need Blue-winged warbler for your NC breeders
list.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis Smalling
Ecos of the Blue Ridge