male Dickcissel still singing, Orange Co.

The male Dickcissel that Shelley Theye and Jill Froning reported on
Dairyland Rd. in western Orange County is still there, and this morning it
was singing to beat the band. It sang from a wire that was three powerline
posts to the west of the little creek that is just west of the Anilorac
farmhouse. Actually, "sang" hardly seems to do it justice. It loudly
proclaimed its availability and desirability. ("Girls, girls, girls, look at
me, look at me!")  After a long time in the open, it flew to the top of a
tulip poplar on the little creek. Jill has also observed it flying to a
large pine at the back of a field on the south side of the road. I had never
seen an adult male Dickcissel before today -- as others have said, it looks
like a miniature meadowlark. Really glorious. And not shy.
Ginger_Travis@unc.edu