Re: Night Herons and Flycatchers

S. Phukan wrote:
>Coming to campus I heard, and then also saw, a pair of Great Crested
>Flycatchers foraging high in the trees around the Barred Owl nest. It
>makes sense that given all these mature trees there should be Great
>Cresteds on campus, but I must say I have never before seen or heard
>them here. have I just had my head in a hole all this time? Has anyone
>else seen or heard them on campus?

  Yes, the Gt.Cresteds are regulars every spring on the quad; quite vocal
and evident when they first arrive, but fairly quiet once they go to nest.
  The sound of Wood Pewees is also very evident in spring on quad(and quiet
by now) but I can't recall if I've ever had sight confirmation of them --
ever since Will pointed out many moons ago the degree to which Starlings can
mimic Pewees I've questioned my assumption that they nest there as well --
anyone recall seeing Pewees on the quad?

   Last night watched mom owl preen the apparently one-and-only baby this
yr. and then fly up to her hubby and preen each each other.

**Rob Gluck
  Chapel Hill, NC.
  thrush@hotmail.com

  "Every time I don't see the bird, it takes the wind out of me."

          -- Bill Vermillion of La.Dept.of Wildlife and Fisheries
             on searching for the Ivorybilled Woodpecker