Congaree Swamp NM, 2 June 2001

On Saturday, 2 June 2001 Caroline Eastman and I accompanied about 12 members
and guests of the Friends of Congaree Swamp on a low key bird walk around
the boardwalk loop in the park. Conditions were perfect -- overcast, cool,
slight breeze, and almost no biting insects! It was about the most pleasant
walk I have ever had at the park in the month of June.

We encountered (mostly by hearing) good numbers of common breeding birds
during our walk, as well as good numbers of lizards, common butterflies, a
water snake, a few turtles, and assorted other critters with wings but no
feathers.

Here is our bird list. Some 39 species were observed. The most unusual
species found were Black-and-White Warbler and Chipping Sparrow (first June
records for the park). Both of these were along the new park entrance road,
in a part of the park which used to be seldom visited by birders.

Great Egret -- 1
Turkey Vulture -- 1
Mississippi Kite -- 3
Red-shouldered Hawk -- 4