Cedar Waxwings, Anhinga, heron rookeries in 'Gator River NWR

Birders,

Must be a good year for Cedar Waxwings in NC . . . yesterday (9 June 01)
Anne and I canoed the Alligator River NWR where Jeff Lewis reported the
heron rookery a couple of weeks ago.  We found the rookery (lots of
active nests with lots of young herons), saw at least three Anhinga while
canoeing, found a second heron rookery at the southern end of the lake,
and had two pairs of Cedar Waxwings playing around in the trees at the
shore.  The first pair we found was between the two rookeries, and the
second was along the north shore of the lake.  Another highlight was
canoeing alongside (maybe 20 feet away) from some pretty decent sized
gators (we're glad they weren't too hungry . . .).

Jeff

PS.  Prothonotary Warblers were "everywhere"!

Jeff Pippen, CarolinaLeps Listowner		 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278