Dickcissel, Anilorac Farm (NC)

Went to see the Dickcissel yesterday afternoon.  (Just where do those cees
and esses go in that name!?)  Found Shelley Theye there, watching the male
singing from the power line.  As we watched, he repeatedly flew down to the
grass on the north side of the road.  Shelley reported thinking she had
seen another, similar looking bird in the area.

At one point, the male flew off, seemingly in company with another
bird.  Shelley and I waited and watched, but never got a good look.  We
finally decided it was time to go.  Shelley left in one direction; I had to
turn my car around.  As I came back by the spot, I saw both birds in the
grass about 20 feet back from the road.  The second bird was definitely a
Dickcissel, without a black bib.  I assume a female from the way they were
consorting.

A breeding pair?  Seems likely.  Pretty cool.  (No, actually, it was about
90 degrees.)

Norm

Norman Budnitz, nbudnitz@duke.edu
919-684-3592 (day), 919-383-0553 (eve),919-660-7293 (fax)

(work) Biology Dept, Duke Univ, Box 90338, Durham NC 27708
(home) 4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)