Brickhouse Road

Hello everyone,
I spent a couple of hours at Brickhouse Road (Butner Gamelands, NE
Durham, NC) yesterday morning. The most common bird seen and heard was
indigo bunting.
The bird that pleased me most was a green heron, perched in a tree down
in the swamp area. I don't remember seeing one there before. An
interesting sighting was several downy woodpeckers head-first in trumpet
vine flowers - getting insects, presumably. A barred owl called
repeatedly as I came back uphill toward Brickhouse from the swamp.Other
birds seen and/or heard included

acadian flycather
red-tailed hawk
yellow-breasted chat
mourning dove
cardinal
house finch
field sparrow
blue jay
bobwhite
wood duck
mallard
great blue heron
red-winged blackbird
prothonotary warbler
red-headed woodpecker
bluebird
towhee
American crow
tufted titmouse
white-eyed and red-eyed vireos
goldfinch
turkey (tracks, feathers)
chickadee
Canada goose
brown-headed cowbird
northern parula
blue-gray gnatcatcher
red-bellied woodpecker
prairie warbler
ruby-throated hummingbird
common yellow throat
summer tanager (in full view, singing heartily)
e. wood pewee
tree swallows
starlings
mockingbird