Catesby, Waxwings and other things, plus an RFI

Hi C-birders,

Attatched below is an RFI from BIRDCHAT about birding in the Wrightsville
Beach area. Please reply to  Nina Cohen <nina@SWVA.NET>

Had dinner at a friend's house on Saturday. Heard singing Louisiana
Waterthrush, Blue-headed Vireo, and Ovenbird from his back porch. He
lives on a high bluff above the Eno River.

There was a pair of Cedar Waxwings at Irvin Farm as recently as the
Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count, May 5. Just a pair, and late enough that
they could have been nesting, and perching on a Red Cedar. Haven't been
back to check since. Did see at least two flocks of the same species in
the LRGV of Texas the following weekend, so we're far from the
southernmost outpost!

Out of state, Delaware is getting interesting, as it often does in the
summer. A breeding-plumage Little Egret at Bombay Hook NWR, and a nearly-
breeding-plumage Curlew Sandpiper next door at the Little Creek Wildlife
Area. See the DC Area RBA for details.

Just found out from the Florida listserv that the library of the
University of Wisconsin has placed Mark Catesby's classic "The Natural
History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands: Containing the
Figures of Birds, Beasts, Fishes, Serpents, Insects and Plants." Volume I
is overwhelmingly birds, Volume II everything else. The text is tough to
read on-line but can apparently be printed, and the pictures are very
nice in an old-fashioned Audubony kind of way... See
http://libtext.library.wisc.edu/DLDecArts/
I assume that the author is for whom Catesby's Trillium, which I saw for
the first time a month or so ago at TLC's Johnston Mill Preserve, is
named.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose