Re: Woodpeckers and suet; directions

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 "William McDavit" wrote:

> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,  KEEP THESE DIRECTIONS.

Anyone who has misplaced recent Carolinabirds posts, whether directions
to a site or something else, should look to the list archive on Will
Cook's website at
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/
The most recent messages, since April 20, are at
http://www.ibiblio.org/~pardo/birds/current/

Note that there are a few quirks. For instance, the above message from
Mary McDavit with directions to her Purple Gallinule does not appear in
the chronological listing of messages, but does show up when the messages
are indexed by thread. And the archive stopped archiving for about a
month and a half, from March 6 to April 20, so anything posted during
that period cannot be found.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 JJBmarjim@aol.com wrote:

> A friend of mine hangs suet in his yard.  He has 2 Redheaded WP regularly
> feeding. He said that someone told him that it was not healthy for the
> woodpeckers in the summer.  They eat a pack of suet about every 3 or 4 days.
>
> Any problems??

I've never heard any reason why suet-feeding in the summer would be
unhealthy. I feed suet all summer and have never noticed any ill effects
in birds around my feeders. Back home in Massachusetts the suet used to
get filled with grubs and maggots in the summer, but for most birds this
would be an added attraction, not a problem... We used pure beef fat from
the butcher up there. Can't seem to find it in the stores down here, so I
use the prepared suet-and-seed (or more often suet-and-hot-pepper to keep
squirrels off of it), which doesn't seem to get buggy at all.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University