red-breasted merganser at Shallotte River

Oops!  I'm repeating the message with its proper subject line.

My fishing partner and I put in at Shell Point on the Shallotte River
today (6/16/01).  We left the landing about 10 a.m. and got back
about 3:15 p.m.  When we got there the tide was low, giving us a
number of opportunities to see clapper rails on the grassy island/mud
flats.   We saw all of the usual herons and egrets plus least terns
and some terns I wasn't able to identify.  The surprise of the day
was a red-breasted merganser, either a hen or a juvenile.  I got a
good, extended look at the bird at fairly close range.  We had seen
r-b mergansers on the Shallotte River back in March, but we would
never have expected to see one today.

BTW.  We were off the water before any storms developed.  When we got
home to Fayetteville, the storm was raging, so my canoe is still on
top the car and most of our gear is still inside.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu