Bobolinks in Alleghany Co., NC

A flock of approximately 15 Bobolinks were first spotted in a large hay
field in Alleghany County, NC on May 12th.  I did a follow up visit today,
June 17 to see if they were still present.  I was able to see at least one
male and one female Bobolink at the same location.  Due to time constraints,
I was unable to search for more.  The male Bobolink repeatedly perched on  a
tall weed in the hayfield.  The female was sighted twice on the same weed.
Observation was at approximately 100 yards while perched and within 50 yards
while in flight.  Light was very good and binoculars were B&L Elites, 10X by
42s.

I believe that this is a strong indication that this species is nesting in
Alleghany County, NC, and to my knowledge, is the first record in several
years that this species has been sighted in this county.  I do have a report
from an elderly farmer, in the same area, that Bobolinks were common over 60
years ago prior to the common practice of cutting hayfields twice per year.

Savannah sparrows were also present, in good numbers, on the May 12th. and
June 17 dates.

Today's sightings were confirmed by Velma Blevins, Johnny Blevins and Ethel
Gentry.

On a side note, hay cutting has been delayed this year because of heavy
rainfall.  The hayfield adjacent to this site was being cut today and I
would expect the Bobolink hayfield to be cut any day now.

Harrol Blevins
Independence, VA
On the New River, NC/VA Border
kestrel@valink.com