Several more bird books!

Folks:
	I don't recall seeing mention of two new bird books by Fred Alsop (from
Tennessee). Yes, two more bird books. These are Smithsonian Handbooks
entitled "Birds of North America: Eastern Region" and "Birds of North
America: Western Region".

I first found out about them by accident at a local bookstore yesterday,
as I saw a copy of the Eastern book. The book is 752 pages, paperback,
and quite thick (1.88 inches according to the ad). Basically, it has
rounded corners and thus reminds one of a large bible, with the flexible
cover.

At any rate, it is more of an encyclopedia, and is not a field guide.
Each species has 1 page, include all of the rarities. I was pleasantly
surprised to see a full page each on Bermuda Petrel, Fea's Petrel, and
any other stray! Fred even mentions the problems with separating Fea's
from Zino's Petrel and that the photo evidence indicates our birds as
Fea's (and that both are so rare that collecting would be out of the
question).

Each account has various headings about ID, nesting, etc. There is a
color photo (the whole book is color) for each species, color range map,
etc. Because there is just the one photo per page, it really can't be
used as a field guide, nor is it intended to be one. I can't understand
why the author/editor wanted little black drawings of the flight style
of each species (several black silhouettes of the bird in undulating
flight, etc.); for wrens, sparrows, etc. That's even less helpful than
Sibley's paintings of the top and bottom of birds as seen in flight --
different, but hardly of use in most cases.

Basically, the book is fine, and probably worth the money. But -- there
is a glut on bird books now. This book is more on the lines of Kaufman's
"Lives of North American Birds", and has some features of the Stokes
photo guides. I see the best feature as the full page given to species
such as Fea's Petrel, Band-rumped Storm-Petrel, and all the other
strays. I don't think Kaufman's book gave any coverage to very
rare/accidental birds.

I did not buy the book, nor am I lilely to, as I have most of the bird
subject covered. That is why I'm writing this from memory. I think a lot
of folks will want to buy it (and the Western book), but if you are
looking for how to tell one species from another, the Sibley guide and
the Nat. Geo. guide are the best for that purpose. And, a few photo
guides such as Kaufman's new book, the Master Guide 3-volume set, etc.,
are handy as well.

But, I give the book a favorable review, as it seems to cover the
subject well and is written by a well-known birder who obviously knows
his subject. I only wish there weren't so many other bird books covering
North America that are competing with it. And, maybe I wish it were
"Birds of Brazil" instead of Birds of North America!! (I'm eagerly
awaiting the publication -- any time now, of books covering Ecuador and
Peru, but Brazil's books are a few years away.)

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program