Re: Where are the Red Crossbills?

We have seen Crossbills near Mt Mitchell at all times of the day.  Yes, it
does help if you listen for their flight notes, because 9 out of 10 times we
see them, we here them first.  Another good point is to scan the tops of the
spruce and fir trees for one perching.  Sometimes one or two will perch on
the top of a tree and not call.   One other good place to check for them is
Ridge Junction Overlook (the overlook nearest to Hwy. 128 at Black Mtn.
Gap).  We have had 20+ Crossbills to come down to the ground ten feet in
front of us there before.  This is a good place for scanning the trees for
them and to listen for their calls.  If you do hear them fly over, try
pishing as they will many times come right down to the tree tops to
investigate.  Hope this helps.  D&L

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC