Sooty Tern

Just returned from a tern banding trip with Dr. John Weske today. This
colony was at "New Dump Island" off Atlantic N.C. I believe I have the
name correct. My first trip to this colony.

The bird of interest today, was a SOOTY TERN. We had great looks, over
cast sky made for great light. Micou Brown spotted the bird as soon as
we landed on the island, around 11:00 AM. I was on the second load to go
back to the mainland around 3:30 PM and the bird was still in the same
area. Never saw more then the one bird.

The group from Wilmington, I believe had a sooty tern in the lower Cape
Fear this week? Maybe someone will post it.

Not a bad Tern list: Gull-billed, Common, Royal, Sandwich & Sooty.

Probably won't be able to see this bird, but nice to know that they can
be found in coastal area.

Jim O'Donnell  (odjljl@ncnets.net)
Onslow County N.C.