Roof-top Nesting Least Terns at Atlantic Beach, NC

For a few years, Least Terns have been nesting on the roof of a small
shopping center at Atlantic Beach, NC.

A few days ago, I noticed that dunes adjacent to the shopping center are as
high as the roof, and I walked up on one of them to see how many birds were
nesting.

I counted about 100 adult birds.  I could see about 40 young birds--ones
large enough to be moving around at least a little.  I believe I would have
missed smaller birds lying on the light colored rocks from the distance I
was.  A few adult birds were apparently still on eggs or small young.  Some
of the young birds were beginning to fly as of today.

There are a few structures on the roof that provide some shade, and I
noticed that many of the young cluster around these.

Apparently, Least Tern is the only species nesting here this year (except
maybe Killdeers).

During the 2 times I've checked out the colony, I haven't seen any Laughing
Gulls or Fish Crows hovering over the colony.

                                              John Fussell
                                              Morehead City, NC
                                              jfuss@clis.com