Scissor Tail fledgings

On my way back from the mountains I took a detour to the Olsen's farm at
Monroe and am happy to report that there were four baby Scissor Tails all
lined up on a hickory tree, and being fed (though not very assiduously) by
both parents. Also present wsa a brown thrasher which kept hopping onto
the branch witht the babies and peering at them with what seemed to me
maliciously reptilian intent, but the parents did not seem to mind and jut
ignored it. In the next tree over was a summer tanager feeding its family,
while bowhites called form the brush, meadowlarks careened all over, and
Cliff swallows glided overhead. How great that the flycatchers are back
and have fledged all their young. The young are flying, though clumsily,
they have short stubby tails and look very unlike the adults.
Shantanu Phukan
C Hill

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599