Re: Breeding range of House Wren

A very good place to find information about where birds breed in South
Carolina is the South Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas, which is on the web at
www.dnr.state.sc.us/wild/bbatlas/bba.html

Many commercial CD-ROM bird guides and printed field guides, even some very
good ones, refuse to incorporate the latest data about where birds breed in
the Carolinas. For example many guides have maps which refuse to acknowledge
that the Blue-headed Vireo breeds throughout the Piedmont of North and South
Carolina. This has been know for many years -- at least since the 1960's,
but most field guide maps show the species breeding only in the mountains of
our states.

In the South Carolina Piedmont the House Wren has an interesting
distribution.  Right up next to the mountains, say in Greenville or Pickens
Counties above 1500 feet elevation, you might find a few House Wrens
breeding in the country. For most of the South Carolina Piedmont, however,
the House Wren, like the Song Sparrow, is a city bird. This is a bird of
old, well- settled neighborhoods where folks still have back yard vegetable
gardens and still put out wren boxes.

Occasionally we find a House Wren in summer in a clear cut in the South
Carolina Coastal Plain, but they do not regularly breed in this kind of
habitat in most of the state.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com