RE: Migratory Bird Treaty Act

 The MBTA doesn't hold water in the case of raptors and this is a proven
fact. My experience previously had this year in court with the shot falconry
bird coupled with the well documented slaughter of Golden Eagles by Hopi
Indians (covered earlier in an issue of Audubon by Ted Williams) has been
very convincing for me personally. It was stated in this article that there
was already substantial biological data to justify listing the Golden Eagle
as threatened in northern Arizona. The issue of feather possession is as far
as I am concerned a racist, religious-based double standard on the part of
the federal government. If the Hopi or anyone else for that matter can
slaughter birds at will, then why is the falconry harvest under such strict
regulation? Why can't I as a white guy parade around with an eagle headdress
in the name of religious freedom? If the Indians are going to use such a
large number of birds for ceremonial purposes, then let them propagate their
own birds in captivity rather than take them off of the national monuments
and parks.

Unfortunately the MTBA probably isn't upheld much better if at all by the
State folks (anywhere). I have heard reports from reliable sources about
state wildlife officers telling folks to "just be a little more discrete"
when setting leg-hold traps and the like for Cooper's and Red-tails.
Wildlife officials know that raptors are commonly shot over dove fields and
on hunting preserves but you seldom hear about folks getting busted in such
instances.

Eric Harrold
esharrol@email.uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC