Willow Flycatcher

Hi Carolinabirders,
	With regard to the Willow Flycatcher reported by George Crumley this
sounds like the "good bird no details syndrome". It happens on the
Litchfield-Pawleys Island CBC all the time. Looking at "Status and
Distribution of South Carolina Birds" and its supplement there is only one
confirmed breeding record for S.C. for Willow Flycatcher, but subsequently
to the supplement, I believe there may have been more documented records in
the upper Piedmont of SC. (along the French Broad River?)  Breeding at Caw
Caw which I believe is in Ravenel on the outer coastal plain would be
extraordinary.
The details presented, some of which seem to be years old, SHOULD HAVE BEEN
DOCUMENTED and submitted to the SC Bird Records Committee (Maybe they were
I don't know). Certainly if breeding is still occuring there, this should
be documented. And I would think tape recordings should not be to difficult
to obtain.
	Curiously, I like Perry, have heard the same individual sing both the
fitz-beuw and fee-be-oo song in my life as a N.J. birder (As have P.
William Smith and Ray Blicharz  N.J. birders of note).  I would think that
by now DNA studies of these two species should have been done.
	The responsibility rests with Perry or some other person to document
Willow Flycatcher at Caw Caw during the breeding season.

Jack

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC