Re: Dickcissel nest: success!

I went to Anilorac Farm Sat AM, July 7, and watched the Dickcissels for
awhile.  As Kent has posted, the young seem to have fledged.  I observed the
female carrying food into the unmowed patch about 10 ft. away from the actual
nest, and also directly across the road in the corn field.  Actually, watched
the male spend lots of time perched on top of the corn stalks in the same
area that the female was flying into, and eating some of the seed, and the
female flew more than once into the same area on the ground and into the base
of the corn plants.  Also observed her in the taller grass near the roadside
ditch, seemingly catching insects and flying back into the corn.

The male was silent at first, except for some chip notes, but after awhile he
did sing, though not always his normal song.  Sometimes he'd leave out a
phrase so it was a two-part instead of a three-part song.

Went out the day prior, on Fri. afternoon, July 6th, and had thought that the
female was possibly feeding fledglings in the grass close buy the nest,
because watched her drop down with food in her bill away from the nest
itself, but because of kids and and my mom visiting from CT, and the 90
degree heat, didn't stay for more than a few minutes.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
North Chatham County, NC
Psbmt@aol.com