Dickcissel nest: success!

I spent some time observing at the Dickcissel nest site at Anilorac Farm
yesterday and today.  The male is still singing intermittently from his
powerline perches.  Yesterday I saw the female only once in a half hour
of watching, and not right at the nest site, so I walked out to examine
the nest.  It was empty but intact.  There was one unhatched egg on the
ground below.  Today I saw the female twice.  She was carrying food in
her bill both times, but flew across the road out of sight with it (the
first time being pursued by a Grackle).  So I feel that up to 3
nestlings fledged successfully and are being fed, possibly already far
from the nest site.

--
Kent Fiala
Hillsborough, NC