Broad River WMA, 7-8-2001

Not having gotten my summer quota of chiggers yet this season, I set off for
Broad River WMA this afternoon in search of the local summer residents.  I
was hoping also for a few puzzling butterflies but it appears that late June
is better for butterflies.

Birds listed below.

Indigo Bunting - Broad River has to have one of the highest concentrations
of breeding Indigo Buntings in Fairfield county.  As expected, I was never
out of earshot (and usually was within 30 feet) of Indigo Bunting from the
time I parked the car until I returned to the car.

Blue Grosbeak - Not nearly so plentiful as Indigo Bunting but it was nice to
listen to a complete Blue Grosbeak song for a change rather than the
"chink"s I usually hear around the feeder.

Common Yellowthroat - As always, almost as plentiful as Indigo Bunting.  And
in what has been the "Spring of the Warbler Fledge" for me, I can now add
another to the list - Common Yellowthroat.

Yellow-breasted Chat - Maybe not quite as plentiful as years past but still
plentiful and noisy.  I even managed to see a Chat this afternoon.

Summer Tanager - One pair seen together, both carrying food items but still
managing to "nipee tuk tuk" at me.  This particular female was one the
brightest "chromium yellow" females I've ever seen.

Yellow-throated Vireo - This one strolled down a branch into plain view as I
stood still, listening to the vireo sing and looking at the Tanagers.
Perhaps he came out to see what had alarmed the Tanagers.

Wild Turkey - Two adult Turkeys were seen crossing the railroad tracks,
followed by three mostly-grown poults.

Field Sparrow - Quite a few seen, fluttering up out of the grass and
returning shortly to the grass.

Bobwhite - One heard calling.  I am not sure if I've ever heard Bobwhite at
Broad River but I always thought the habitat looked right for them.

Other birds seen this afternoon include Purple Martin, Black and Turkey
Vultures, adult Red-shouldered Hawk, American Crow (and calling "crowlet").
I found no real avian surprises but it always good to check that everyone is
where they are supposed to be.  And as luck would have it, I think I am
still short on my chigger quota.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"