Requiem for a groundhog

All,

Just thought you might like to know that the groundhog I saw near
Clayton (and believe to be an early colonizer), and that started a
notorious thread on expanding wildlife that ultimately resulted in one
very enthusastic young lady birder abandoning this list serve after
being flamed by list purists, was killed by a car last Thursday morning.
Karmic justice, perhaps?

To avoid having the propane burner cranked up under my own seat, I
report the second brood of bluebirds on my 1 acre property for the year.
The box they are in previously flegdged a brood of Carolina chickadees;
the previous bluebird nesting (best I can tell, same pair of adults) was
in my martin house (yet to produce a single martin, btw!).

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu
Clayton and Raleigh, NC

p.s. I remember someone saying something about using a newspaper tube
for a great-crested flycatcher nest box- anyone have more details?