Cardinals predating on Hummers

My thoughts:

Until we have more than a single data point (AFAIK, that's precisely what we
have), we shouldn't read too much into this.  Making this into an
evolutionary trend (or any other trend/phenomenon) is way premature, IMHO.
I tend to think that the guess that the cardinal was expecting a big insect
but ended up with something else is a reasonable one, or perhaps this is
just one of those random vignettes with which nature likes to delight and
confuse us.  But I have trouble making it any more than that until we see it
again.

Happy birding,

-Sandy

--