Comment on migration season

     Some birds are on the move.  I was in northeastern Florida during
the weekend and stopped at Sawpit Pond on Big Talbot Island (Duval
County).  In addition to the usual residents, I found short-billed
dowitchers in breeding plumage, least sandpipers, and--surprise,
surprise--Wilson's phalaropes in basic plumage.
     On the other hand, I had planned to spend time sorting out terns,
but the only terns that I saw were royals and the gulls, with the
exception of one suspicious juvenile, were all laughing gulls.  So,
while migration has begun, no general movement is underway.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu