Curlew Sandpiper

Carolinabirders

Paula and I happened to be on the Outer Banks this weekend, for a wedding.
Based on Jeff Lewis' call, I decided to hunt for the Curlew Sandpiper today
(Sunday) about 9:00 a.m.  I found the bird after a little searching, in the
same area it was found yesterday.

I will add to Jeff's directions.  After crossing Oregon Inlet, but before
reaching North Pond, park on the right shoulder at utility pole #38.  There
will be a pink plastic tape on a stake very close to the road.  Walk in
there, toward the sound.  The first mud flats will be dry, but the ones
farther back toward the sound are wet and have the birds.  These shallow
pools are odd shaped and interconnected.  You may need to look through
several of them before finding the bird.  It is molting out of breeding
plumage but still well marked, with a burnt orange color very prominent from
the base of the neck to the area where the legs join the body.  There is no
good color left on the head or neck.  The bird has a very obvious droop and
curve to the bill, somewhat more so than a dunlin.  The body is bigger than
any of the peep, nearly the size of a dunlin.  It really can't be mistaken
for anything else.  It is quite active, walking a lot as it feeds.  It feeds
more by picking than by probing, so don't waste time trying to turn a
colorful Dunlin into this bird.  When you see the Curlew Sandpiper, it will
be obvious.

In past years, when Curlew Sandpipers have shown up at Pea Island, they
usually stay for several days to a week or more.  You might want to give
this bird a try.

John
--
John and Paula Wright     h 252-756-5139

jwright@skantech.net      Greenville, North Carolina