Mahogany Rock Hawkwatch

Carolinabirders,

The hawk migration season is upon us once again, and as usual, we are
encouraging everyone to come up and assist with the census effort. We
especially are in need of help during the weekdays and if anyone's schedule
would permit them to commit to one or more days during the week, this would
be great. Otherwise, any amount of time volunteered would be appreciated.

For those unfamiliar with the Mahogany Rock Hawkwatch site, it is an annual
effort to census migrating raptors along the Blue Ridge Parkway that begins
on September 1st and continues through December. Mahogany Rock is an
official HMANA (Hawk Migration Association of North America) site. The
latter half of September brings the bulk of the Broadwings. Accipiters and
falcons begin moving through in earnest about the middle of September and
are seen through mid October. The buteos start showing up in October and
continue moving through up until the end of the season.

If anyone is interested in participating weekly and would like more
information, either show up at Mahogany Rock Overlook (milepost 235 on the
Blue Ridge Parkway) or send me an email at esharrol@email.uncc.edu and I'll
be glad to try to answer any questions you have. Jim Keighton is the
coordinator of the Hawkwatch and he will gladly entertain folks who would be
willing to be regular participants.

As indicated earlier, Mahogany Rock Overlook is on the Blue Ridge Parkway
near Roaring Gap, NC in the northwest corner of the state. Folks coming from
the Charlotte area or through Winston-Salem will need to get on I-77 North
and exit onto the Hwy 21 to Sparta bypass at Elkin. Continue on Hwy 21 north
to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Go south on the Parkway 5 miles to Mahogany Rock
Overlook on the right. Jim Keighton usually arrives by 10:00 AM (gray van)
and has an educational display for visitors.

We look forward to seeing you at the 'watch.

Eric Harrold
esharrol@email.uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC