Re: Mahogany Rock Hawkwatch

Regarding hawk-watching in n.w. North Carolina, some of you may know
that the State of North Carolina has recently purchased over 200 acres
at Bullhead Mountain, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Mahogany
Rock.  It is a State Natural Area, being administered out of Stone
Mountain State Park. A local bird club/society may eventually be
involved with some management activities.

However -- the site is not officially open. The State does not own the
road that leads to the mountain; the road is private. Thus, there are
some legal matters to be resolved before the public can visit the
mountain. We hope that the mountain will be a premier place for
hawk-watching in NC. There are no facilities, such as a platform,
parking area, etc., either.

I heard that a local Triangle group was planning a visit this fall to
Bullhead Mountain. I'm not sure that such a visit will be able to take
place, because of legal access to the property.

Be patient. Bullhead Mountain presumably will not be available for
hawk-watching this fall, so visit the Mahogany Rock overlook for
hawk-watching. If I find out more about access to Bullhead, I'll let
folks know. State Parks is trying to acquire more land at Bullhead, as
well as trying to work out legal access to the property.

Carolina Bird Club and the conservation community owes considerable
gratitute to CBC members James Coman III and Jim Keighton for getting
Bullhead Mountain into protected status. Hopefully, the State will own
more acres and a prime hawk-watching station can be established there in
year or two.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry LeGrand