(Fwd) Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Knott's Island, NC

From:           	"Clark.David" <David.CLARK@SunTrust.com>
To:             	cwcook@duke.edu
Subject:        	Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Knott's Island, NC
Date sent:      	Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:58:00 -0400

I am not a subscriber to CarolinaBirds, but thought you might be
interested in the following and could pass it along.

On Saturday, August 18, I found a juvenile Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at
Mackay Island NWR in Currituck County, NC.  The bird was sitting on a
telephone wire along the Mackay Island Road entrance to the wildlife
refuge.  The bird has a relatively short tail and still had downy
feathers on its lower back.  I have heard reports of Scissor-tails
nesting again in NC this summer.  I suspect this bird was raised not too
far away.  No sign of any adults, but I only had a half-hour or so to
observe it before lightning chased me away.

David Clark
Norfolk Va.
david.clark@suntrust.com

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708