Outer Banks Venture

Carolinabirders
We have just returned from a very pleasant and birdy trip to the Outer
Banks, including a pelagic trip with Brian Patteson, Pea Island NWR and the
Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island. Birding was pretty good throughout
the time we spent down there, especially as our aim was to study and take a
closer look at shorebirds and seabirds. We ended up with 24 species of
shorebirds, some at very close range indeed. Highlights of the Venture
included:
Curlew Sandpiper 1 moulting adult, which we refound on 23 August.
Marbled Godwit and Red Knot
Stilt Sandpiper 30+ at very close range with Short-billed Dowitchers. This
was outstanding as we started to age the birds checking scapulars etc.
Red-necked Phalarope
4 Shearwaters: Manx, Audubon's, Greater and Cory's
South Polar Skua and Pomarine Jaeger
Bridled, Sooty, Least, Common, Black and Sandwich Terns
Virginia Rail
Red-headed Woodpecker
A scattering of southbound warblers including: Black-and-white, Northern
Waterthrush, Prairie, American Redstart and best of all, a Cerulean Warbler
in the Elizabethan Gardens. (probably an immature male)

Our next Ventures are:
Blue Ridge/Mt Mitchell, NC 29 August
Snowbird Lodge, Robbinsville, NC. A perfect spot for fall migration and fall
wildflowers. 17-19 September
Hawk Mountain, Delaware Bayshore and Cape May for Hawk Migration, shorebirds
and passerine migration.
25 September to 1 October
Call the Ventures Office for more information. Also our 2002 brochure is
currently being printed. Please contact us for a brochure.
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours
PO Box 1095