Mt. Pisgah migrants

I wasn't going to post this, but after reading Dwayne and Lori's post
from the Ridge Junction overlook I thought it might be of interest.

I was at the Mills River Valley overlook (the Pisgah Hawk Watch site)
this morning (Sunday, Aug 26) at the same time that the Martins were
covering Ridge Junction.  I saw no hawks at all, but did see 7 hummers
and approximately 300 Barn Swallows (sorry, Lori, I didn't actually
count them all!).  All were definitely moving in a determined southerly
direction ("with their bags packed" as we say at the hawk watch).  The
swallows were moving in groups of 2 to 20.

Bill Sanderson
Asheville, NC