Fwd: Chimney Swifts in Columbia, SC

I also live in Columbia in Olympia Village, and we have a large flock here on
Ohio Street.  I was just noticing them the other night before the Whaley's
Mill message was posted.  They were very active and numerous.  I did not see
where they were congregating.  Most of the chimneys, if not all, in this
village are not used because they are unsafe--the houses are 100 years old
and the nearby quarry detonates dynamite almost daily, which has undermined
the chimneys.  Our house doesn't have a chimney, so we don't host any swifts.
 Houses across the street do have chimneys, however, and may host them.  I
was thinking about roosts, but I will have to look again to see if I can make
out where they are landing in the evening.

Dick Norwood
http://www.geocities.com/~rnorwood/tnfpexp.htm