Re: Chimney Swifts in Columbia, SC

> Caroline Eastman and I have just returned from watching the Chimney Swifts
> go to roost in downtown Columbia, SC >

This started me thinking that I have not seen chimney swifts around my house
in Shandon in Columbia like I used to.  Just returned from Hand Middle
School and noticed that they have blocked off a chimney that used to harbor
a large colony of swifts.  Do not know when Hand did it, or even if it was
this year.  Are there any protections for these birds?  Looks like we need
to be diligent about these colonies.   I was wondering if others are aware
of colonies that have been destroyed recently.

Parkin Hunter