New bird for my Cumberland County list

     I had a surprise today.  In spite of having seen hairy
woodpeckers elsewhere, I had never seen one here in Cumberland
County.  This morning on campus I saw two in a sycamore tree being
used by a flock of robins.  The woodpeckers were having some kind of
discussion, posturing and maneuvering around each other. They were
virtually the same size as the robins.  The woodpeckers had
substantial beaks and their outside tail feathers were pure white--no
black bars.  Therefore, they were clearly hairies, not downies.
     I was really surprised to see the hairies.  I usually see
downies, but even they have been locally scarce this summer.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu