Shepherd's Trail

Shepherd's Trail in Duke forest is alive with migrants at the moment.
I stopped by for just 40 minutes this evening (6-6.40pm) and got some
wonderful views:

hooded W (M)
Am redstart 3 (M+2F)
BTGW 1 (F)
possible chestnut-sided: just caught a glimpse of 2 yellow wing bars,
white belly and plain light underside of tail. If someone happened to
get a better view today (or tomorrow) I'd be delighted to hear from
them.
Rose-breasted grosbeak 1 (M)

also lots of towhees, flickers, a brown-headed NH, a downy WP and a
probable hairy WP

I must now take back all the disparaging comments I have ever made
about Duke Forest being crap for birds. I feel so ashamed  :-((

Amalie Tuffin was arriving as I was leaving, so there might be
another report due soon.

If I have time I'll get there earlier tomorrow!

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu