From: Kent Fiala <fiala@ipass.net>
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Subject: Re: Cockades
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:37:30 -0400 (EDT)

You can find out what a "cockade" is simply by looking
it up in a dictionary.  Mine says "an ornament (as a
rosette) worn on the hat as a badge."  That's
essentially consistent with Marilyn's explanation.  I
think I've heard the Yankee Doodle story before, too.

Next exercise: What does "pileated" mean?  (Just a
private exercise please; no need for everyone to post
the answer.)

--
Kent Fiala
near Chapel Hill, NC