funny migrant

I spent most of Sunday morning in my tractor, mowing my four acres of grass
and broomsedge.  I always mow around the outside of the field and then
spiral inward slowly.  As I do this, I can see various critters being
herded into the center--grasshoppers, mantises, cotton rats, etc.  They
keep flying up or running into the taller grass just ahead of tractor.

When the 'safe' patch narrowed to about 25 feet wide, a dove-sized bird
suddenly flew out and landed about 50 feet up in an oak tree in the
woods.  But this was no Mourning Dove.  Too dark.  Funny tail.  Feet and
legs sticking out behind.

I quickly drove the tractor over to the edge under the tree and, lo and
behold, there it was, a SORA.  Not that unexpected, given the time of year
and the passage of the cold front the night before.  But this was a dry
field with broomsedge, not a swampy area with any open water.  I guess when
you've been flying all night, any tall-grass hiding place looks good.

I leave you with the following delightful image:  a Sora, 50 feet up in an
oak tree, skulking along a branch, head bobbing back and forth,
side-stepping around limbs and twigs, trying to look as inconspicuous as
possible.

Nice new yard bird.

Norm

Norman Budnitz, nbudnitz@duke.edu
919-684-3592 (day), 919-383-0553 (eve),919-660-7293 (fax)

(work) Biology Dept, Duke Univ, Box 90338, Durham NC 27708
(home) 4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)