Re: Evening Grosbeak

Yes, it's very early - I don't know of any previous September reports for
the Triangle area (I assume your sighting was on 9/29?).  The usual early
arrival date is around November 10.  The earliest fall report is
10/17/1977, but there is also a puzzling report of a male on 7/26/1978
(seen by an experienced observer).

A quick scan of rare bird alerts didn't turn up any other reports, so
this could be a rogue individual. :-)  I've hearing reports of cone crop
failures up north this year, so we could be in for a winter finch
invasion.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu