Evening Grosbeak

I had my first ever evening grosbeak in my yard 10 days ago. Not knowing a
whole lot about migration schedules for birds, and knowing that evening
grosbeaks are fairly common here in the winter, I didn't think anything of
it. But when I mentioned it to my dad this weekend, he was very surprised
and said he didn't think he'd ever seen an evening grosbeak in northern
Chatham County this early in the season. So I was wondering if a) this is
early for evening grosbeaks to show up and b) if anybody else in the
triangle has seen any yet. I only saw the one male, and I haven't seen him
since --

Sheila Denn
on the Chatham/Orange county line

Sheila O. Denn