winter birds coming in

A mid-morning walk through the creekbottom with my favorite four-legged
birding companion yesterday morning found a few winter species present.  My
companion drew my attention to a few White-throated Sparrows skittering
about in the tangles underneath a canopy hosting numerous migrating Northern
Flickers and Blue Jays.  While standing enjoying the sparrows and the golden
light of October from a flawless sky, I heard the impatient "jih-dit" of a
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  On our way back over the bridge at the creek, we
heard the "kip kip" of a Winter Wren.  The only other migrants I found
yesterday were a small kettle of Turkey Vultures dropping down, winking in
out of the blue later in the afternoon and lining out toward the southwest.

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"