American White Pelicans on SC coast

Hi C-Birders,

I just got off the telephone with Carroll Richard. Today she and Kathleen
O'Grady observed at least 200 American White Pelicans in a migrating flock
at Donnelly WMA, Colleton County, SC. This is a very good number of white
pelicans for anywhere on the East Coast north of Florida.

If you decide to chase these birds be aware that Donnelly WMA and nearby
Bear Island WMA are closed on Sundays. If you go for the pelicans tomorrow
then you will have to limit your exploring to the Bennett Point Road, which
is always open. If I were going I would plan to check out the Beaufort, SC
area, or even Hilton Head or the Savannah area, since these birds are
probably on their way to Florida.

This seems to be a better average fall for observing American White Pelicans
along the South Carolina coast. Perhaps they will stay all winter. Everyone
knows that the South Carolina coast in winter is not as crowded as the coast
in Florida!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com