Congaree Bluff hawk watch on 4 Nov 2001

Hi C-Birders,

Today Caroline and I spent 4.5 hours at the hawk watch at Congaree Bluff
Heritage Preserve near Fort Motte, Calhoun County, SC. We were there as a
dry cold front passed and the watch was pretty good. There were many dozens
of vultures around -- a few seemed to be migrating. Plus I saw my best ever
push of Red-tailed Hawks -- lots moving through, in addition to two or three
local birds just hanging out, looking for a meal.  Non-hawk migrants
included large numbers of Eastern Bluebird, Common Grackle, and Red-winged
Blackbird.

Here are our totals for those vultures and hawks we thought were
migrating --

Black Vulture -- 46
Turkey Vulture -- 8
Northern Harrier -- 1