Fork-tailed Flycatcher shows up for Wings Over Water

Carolinabirders,

A Fork-tailed Flycatcher was seen during Wings over Water today (Sunday) at
about 8:30 a.m. at North Pond of Pea Island by Les Todd.  After being lost
for about two hours, it was seen again around 10:30 a.m. by several other
birders (including me, thank goodness) flying north at Oregon Inlet.  Others
looked in vain for the flycatcher during the afternoon hours.  Around 4:00
p.m. Eric Dean relocated the bird perched on utility wires along the old
South Nags Head road which parallels N.C. Highway 12 going south from Nags
Head.  As of 4:30 the bird was still perched.

I hope that for any of you who might be interested in this bird, it will
remain in this area tonight.  It will probably start flying north again
tomorrow morning.    If you want to see it, you'd better ride tonight.  It
is an adult with a full-length tail -- unmistakeable.

Wings Over Water once again proved to be a fantastic weekend of birding.
The Sprague's Pipit stayed around at Cape Point, the Tropical Kingbird was
very easy and a popular attraction at South Pond, and the Fork-tailed
Flycatcher this Sunday was just a remarkable end to a great weekend of rare
birds.

John
--
John and Paula Wright     h 252-756-5139

johnswrighthsd@earthlink.net      Greenville, North Carolina