An exciting experience

This evening about 5:00 - 5:10 pm as my wife and I were returning home, I
noticed a lump on a tree root at the entrance to our subdivision, pulling
over and further inspection revealed a medium sized raptor sitting out in the
open.  Pulled into the parking lot adjacent to the area and observed either a
broadwinged or red sholdered hawk just sitting there oblivious to his
surroundings.  Observed for about five minutes and determined the bird had a
problem.  Scooted for home, picked up binocs and returned.  The hawk had
moved maybe 15 feet into the middle of an open area.  Further observation
revealed it was injured.  Returned home and called Charlie Jones of the
Greenville County Bird Club, who referred me to the Wildlife Rehab of
Greenville.  Upon calling them, was given the names and tel # of five people
who handle raptor problems.

By this time, it was about 5:45 on Sunday evening and darkness was rapidly
falling.  I called the first name on the list and it was busy.  The second
name on the list, Jim Burke, answered and immediately agreed to come out and
see if he could help. Within 30 minutes, Jim arrived and we proceeded to try
and find the bird.  By now, it was completely dark and the hillside we were
covering is very heavily wooded and overgrown with wild roses, etc.

We searched for approximately 30 minutes, and I thought maybe I had brought
this fellow out on a wild goose chase, but then we found the bird perched in
a sapling about six feet off the ground.  Jim very methodically and
stealthfully approached, very difficult with about eight inches of very dry
leaves,  and successfully captured a mature red shouldered hawk.  Incredible.

The bird will be evaluated, and if need be will be transported to the raptor
center in Charlotte.

The reason I have related this story is that I think it points out the value
of the birding network, in that there are resources available to help with
problems.  But more important than that is I wish to recognize the Wildlife
Rehab of Greenville, SC and in particular, Jim Burke, who took a call from an
unknown individual and immediately, without any reservation, volunteered to
help.  Thanks Jim.

Mike Jones
Greenville, SC