Grebe at Falls Lake

Howdy,

Well....we saw the Western Grebe about 4 pm at the Rolling View swimming
beach area (where Clyde saw it this morning), but it was way out in the
distance when we were there. It's still spending a lot of time under the
water. We only saw it come up briefly a few times before it went out of
view around the corner. It was nice to meet Brian Murphy for the first
time after reading his posts. There was at least one loon, but none
calling. There were also Pied-billed Grebes, coots, Killdeers, Great
Blue Herons, and lots of gulls. From the boat ramp area we saw 4 Hooded
Mergansers and 3 unidentified ducks, among some of the same listed
above. Other birds were too far to identify and the sun was setting in
the direction of the grebe. We didn't have much time to bird since it
was getting dark, so we hope to go back this weekend.

It's a great day when you see loons and chickadees!!!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net