Mattamuskeet

Dear Potential Birders of Mattamuskeet:

The hundreds of Tundra Swans are right where they should be in the lake this
time of year.  We saw lots of Canada Geese, Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, 3
Bald Eagles, lots of Great Blue Herons, a few Great Egrets, Widgeons,
Mallards, (maybe not the variety of ducks, but we were just passing through
keeping a watch out and stopping periodically to look for the Golden Eagle.)
There were Forster's Terns, at least 2 kinds of expected gulls, Tree
Swallows, wrens and warblers including Prairie in the trees on the causeway.
The Cape Fear Bird Club had a few Great-horned Owls and a Long-eared Owl at
the end of Lake Landing this past Friday.  But I don't know what else they
had other than the Golden Eagle. True, the water along the dirt entrance
road to Headquarters seemed birdless.   And inlets are very low.  We did not
explore too much as I mentioned, but  I wouldn't rule out going there.  Get
you a tape of owls and go down Lake Landing Rd. if nothing else.  They had
the owls around 5 PM.

Isn't there any group member of the Cape Fear Birding Club that did the last
weekend at Mattamuskeet and Outer Banks out there that can help the birder
that wants info re Mattamuskeet?

Good Birding,
Mary McDavit, Sunset Beach, NC
osprey1@atmc.net