Red-breasted Nuthatch--still hanging out in Durham

The Red-breasted Nuthatch that first visited my feeder several weeks
ago in Durham, NC is apparently still hanging out in the
neighborhood. I saw it today coming in to feed with a mixed flock of
the two other nuthatch species, titmouses, and chickadees. Also had a
Pine Warbler in the bunch, apparently interested in sunflower seeds.

In other strange nature news, I saw two large bats, species unknown,
flying about the neighborhood at dusk. I can't recall seeing bats in
December previously. I also observed Yellow-bellied Slider turtles
basking at Jordan Lake today. This is not so infrequent on a warm
winter day--I usually see them out during any warm spell in the
winter.
--

Patrick Coin
Durham, NC