Accipiter in yard

      This afternoon I happened to be looking at the backyard when a bird
streaked across the open area near the bird feeder, either hit the
ground or tangled with a bird at the edge of my brush pile, and zipped
off.  I moved quickly enough to see an adult accipiter, probably a
sharp-shinned, gliding over the house below me and heading away.  I had
no opportunity to grab my binoculars, which were within reach and ready
for use.  The hawk did not appear to be carrying anything, so I assume
it missed.  Even without a definitive id, that hawk was my bird of the
day,

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu