12/9/01 LAKE MATTAMUSKEET SIGHTINGS

Ken Harrell and I had a good day of birding at Lake Mattamuskeet today.
Highlights included the following.

- Three (3) WHITE PELICANS sitting on the water on the South side of the
lake, directly out from the dirt road that extends North from the pump
house.  Another group of birders said that they has as many as eight WHITE
PELICANS flying by the same point earlier in the morning.

- Six (6)+ ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS - along the southern section of the
causeway and along the wildlife drive.

- Seven (7)+ BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHERS - along the southern section of the
causeway and along the wildlife drive.

- One (1) BLACK & WHITE WARBLER - along the wildlife drive.

- Eleven (11)+ BALD EAGLES (all ages) - seen almost at all times of the day
from the causeway, wildlife drive, pump house, and especially the Lake
Landing impoundments where we had six (6) at one time.

- Two (2) LAUGHING GULLS - Southern edge of lake adjacent to the Lake
Landing impoundments.

- One (1) 'ALBINO' COMMON GRACKLE - with large flock of grackles, blackbirds
and cowbirds near Lake Landing impoundments.

No extreme rarities, but all in all, not a bad day of birding!

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com