Bluff Unit Santee NWR Geese-31, December, 2001

>From the observation platform at the Santee NWR Bluff unit I had 1 Greater
White-fronted Goose, 2 Ross's Geese, 9 Snow Geese (6 blue-phases and 3
white-phases) among the 400+ Canada Geese.  From 11:30am to 3:20pm there
were no geese in the fields visible from the platform, but about 5:00pm all
the above mentioned geese started to fly in from the adjacent Cantey Bay.  A
few hundred Canada's and 1 Greater White-Fronted Goose were seen out on
Cantey Bay throughout the day along with 8 Tundra Swans, and a smattering of
Northern Shovelers, Mallards, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, American Wigeon,
Hooded Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks.
Also from the observation platform I had a fly-over American Woodcock, a
calling Great Horned Owl, and 6 species of warbler; Orange-crowned,
Yellow-rumped, Yellow-throated, Pine, Black-and-white and Common
Yellowthroat.  Finally, at Jack's Creek Marina I had two small Sterna terns
(presumably Forster's) 15 roosting Great Egrets, and 2 White-crowned
Sparrows.  Good day afield.  Happy New Year to all.

Mike Turner
Columbia SC